Commission for Women
- 7:00 PM
- 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Council Chambers
776 NE 125 Street
North Miami, FL 33161
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
|Member||Appointed by||Appointed Date||Term Ending|
|Marie O. Etienne||Mayor Desulme||04-12-2022||11-19-2024|
|Magda Demerritt||Councilman Galvin||03-08-2022||11-19-2024|
|Norisa Glickman||Councilwoman Timothe||03-22-2022||05-27-2025|
|Naomi Blemur||Vice Mayor Estimé-Irvin||11-23-2021||05-27-2025|
|Rose Michelle Grand-Pierre||At-Large||07-12-2022||05-27-2025|
Sec. 2-277. Duties and Responsibilities.
The powers and duties of the commission shall include. but not be limited to. the following duties. functions. powers and responsibilities:
- To serve in an advisory capacity by making studies. reports and recommendations to the city council and to the city manager in respect to all matters pertaining to the status of all women in the city, including, but not limited to. the fair and equal treatment of women; those policies and practices which discriminate against women whether practiced by public or private persons, individuals or corporations: and the public and private employment of women: the working and living conditions of women: the delivery of public and private services to women: the education and training of women: and public accommodations for women;
- To make continuing studies with recommendations and reports of all city agencies. facilities. boards. services and programs dealing with or affecting women. including equal funding of such facilities, services and programs:
- To study. recommend and report any needed improvements and changes to city codes. boards. ordinances, resolutions and written and unwritten policies and practices of the city:
- To appear before any governmental or nongovernmental agency to present findings and recommendations on behalf of the commission for women, as well as on behalf of the city with the approval of the city council:
- To perform other duties, functions and services as may be assigned to it by the city council.
Sec. 2-278. Composition; Qualifications; Appointment.
- The Commission for Women shall be composed of seven (7) members.
- Each city council member shall appoint one (1) member of the commission and two (2) members shall be appointed by the mayor and council at-large,
- Members of the commission shall be permanent residents or employed in businesses in the city for two (2) or more years.
Sec. 2-279. Terms of Office.
The terms of all members shall commence upon appointment. and shall coincide with the term of the mayor or city council member making the appointment.
About the Board
The Commission for Women, was established by Ordinance 1461, on January 26, 2021.
To serve in an advisory capacity by making studies, reports and recommendations to the city council and to the city manager in respect to all matters pertaining to the status of all women in the city, including, but not limited to, the fair and equal treatment of women; those policies and practices which discriminate against women whether practiced by public or private persons, individuals or corporations and the public and private employment of women, the working and living conditions of women; the delivery of public and private services to women: the education and training of women and public accommodations for women.