- Boards & Commissions
- Community Relations Board
Community Relations Board
- 7:00 pm
- 3rd Thursday of every month
- Council Chambers
776 NE 125 Street
North Miami, FL 33161
|Member||Appointed By||Appointed Date||Term Ending|
|Nadege Vilsaint||Vice Mayor Estimé-Irvin||06-22-2021||05-27-2025|
Sec. 2-158. Membership, qualifications; terms.
The CRB shall consist of seven (7) members, with the mayor and city council to each appoint one (I) member and with two (2) members to be appointed by the entire mayor and city council. The membership of the board shall be representative of the various social, racial, religious, linguistic, cultural, and economic groups comprising the population of the city. Each member shall be a resident of North Miami, with an outstanding reputation for community pride, interest, integrity, responsibility, and business or professional ability. Members shall be appointed for terms of two (2) years. Any member who for any reason misses either two (2) consecutive meetings or a total of three (3) meetings shall automatically cease being a member of the board. Any member may also be removed by a three-fifths (3/5) vote of the city council.
Sec. 2-159. Organization; quorum; voting; rules of procedures; records of meetings.
The members of the CRB shall select and designate from its members a chairman, a vice chairman and secretary. Four (4) members of the CRB shall constitute a quorum. No action shall be taken except by a majority vote of those present at a duly constituted meeting of the CRB. The CRB may adopt by-laws governing its meetings and actions on matters within its jurisdiction, not inconsistent with the provisions of this article, which by-laws shall be filed with the city clerk. Copies of the minutes of all CRB meetings shall be furnished to the city council.
Sec. 2-161. Duties and functions.
- To foster mutual understanding, tolerance, and respect among all economic, social, religious, racial and ethnic groups in the city.
- To make studies in the field of community relations.
- To act as conciliator in controversies involving community relations.
- To cooperate with federal, state, county and city agencies in developing harmonious community relations.
- To cooperate in the development of educational programs dedicated to the improvement of community relations with, and to enlist the support of civic, religious, veterans, labor, industrial, commercial and eleemosynary groups, and private agencies engaged in the ideals of tolerance, mutual respect and understanding.
- To recommend to the city council such ordinances as will aid in carrying out the purposes of the board.
- To accept grants and donations on behalf of the city from foundations and others for the purpose of carrying out the above listed functions, subject to approval by the city council.
About the Board
Community Relations Board, established by Ordinance 1190 (PDF) on August 9, 2005; Resolution 98-45 (PDF) on September 8, 1998; amended by Resolution 2001-39 (PDF) on September 25, 2001; amended by Resolution 1354 (PDF) on March 26, 2013.
Sec. 2-156. Purpose.
The purpose of the Community Relations Board shall be to assist in the conciliation of community matters to help foster harmony while recognizing and appreciating the diverse nature of the population of the city.