Certificate of Use
Getting a Certificate of Use (CU)
Are you opening a new business or seeking to move your existing business to the City of North Miami? A Certificate of Use needs to be obtained prior to the commencement of any business to ensure that all businesses are operating legally, safely, and honoring the city’s vision for that neighborhood.
Businesses that Require a CU:
- At Home Occupations/Online Businesses
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Community Residential Homes
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Religious Institutions
- Commercial and Industrial Property Owners and/or Management Companies
- All tenants of these properties need individual CUs in order to operate their business. Potential tenants please verify with the Zoning Division prior to signing a lease to ensure the proposed use is allowed within the zoning district without any restrictions.
- Multi-Family Residential Property Owners and/or Management Companies
- View the List of all uses that require a Certificate of Use
Certificate of Use Application Process
- Verify if my proposed use permitted on this property?
Visit Gridics web page. Once, you confirm that the use is permitted, please fill the Certificate of Use application.
- The lease shall only be signed and executed between property owner and leasee when you have received the approval email from Zoning to permit the proposed use.
- Fire Rescue
Obtain my Fire Inspection Report and/or Annual Operating Permit for my business. To request an inspection please call 786-331-4800 or visit www.miamidade.gov/fire.
Approval is required by the Department of Environmental Resources Management for my proposed use to comply with the Federal, State and County environmental protection laws. For Certificate of Use reviews please email required documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For other inquiries, visit https://www.miamidade.gov/environment/ or call 305-272-6789.
Office Located at:
701 NW 1st CT
Miami, FL 33136
- After completion of Steps 1 to 3, your completed application must be submitted in person to the Community Planning & Development Department's Zoning Division located at 12400 NE 8th Avenue. Before you submit your Certificate of Use application, ensure that you have all the supporting documentation that applies to you as follow:
- Business owner and/or authorized agent’s government issued ID.
- Letter of Authorization from Property Owner
- Miami-Dade County’s Annual Fire Permit or APPROVED Fire Inspection Report
- If applicable, completion of D.E.R.M. approval
- Full Lease Agreement or Bill of Sale/Closing Statement
- Zoning compliance inspection will be completed by the City of North Miami, Building Department within 10-14 days.
- Business Tax Receipt, Upon your CU application being approved, a City of North Miami BTR, and Miami-Dade Local BTR must be applied for, after CU inspection approval.
Renew Certificate of Use (CU)
Currently, your CU will last until the end of the fiscal year (October 1st-September 30th) in which you applied. So, if you got your CU in June, you’ll have to renew that in October. Renewal is easy, simply keep an eye out for an invoice from our department and pay the invoice by September 30th.