NoMi Leaders in Training Program Overview
The City of North Miami’s Leaders in Training (LIT) Program, is designed to develop our city’s next generation of public servants through higher education preparation, career readiness and enhanced understanding of local civic processes. The program will serve as a pipeline and pre-requisite for North Miami residents, grades 9 through 12, to transition into the city’s Summer Internship Program. Upon completing the program’s hands-on professional leadership training, participants will gain soft skills needed to succeed in any profession.
This initiative was created by Councilman Alix Desulme in collaboration with Patricia Elizee, Esq.
Program Location and Date
2022 In-person or virtual Leaders in Training Program
February 26, 2022 thru May 14, 2022 (12 weeks)
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Fill out the application online (Must register and create an account to apply) Opens in New Window .
For more information about the Leaders in Training Program, please contact City of North Miami Housing and Social Services Department 305-893-6511, ext. 20000 or email@example.com.
LIT includes three focus areas.
Many young residents are in need of resources to help them identify a career focus. Few understand the preparation involved in landing the ideal job opportunity. Through exposure to various career paths in the field of public service, LIT provides practical guidance for cultivating hard and soft skills required for life-long professional success.
LIT assists youth participants in identifying and matching their individual interests, talents and skills with complimentary career opportunities. During this process participants receive a general overview of the responsibilities and functions of municipal government, by engaging with various department directors and learning their roles and contributions to the City of North Miami’s daily operations.
Through one-on-one interactions with the City of North Miami’s elected officials and observation of government operations, LIT Program participants will be taught the fundamentals of government service, structure and leadership. Youth will also witness firsthand North Miami’s government practices and processes from the perspective of the City’s elected leadership.
LIT program participants will be taught to recognize various professional leadership styles. Participants will learn how to apply these styles to chosen career interests and goals.
Throughout the program, participants will develop skills and proficiency in the following areas:
- Business Etiquette
- Career Exploration
- City Council Structure
- Civic Engagement
- Customer Service Strategies
- Job Interview Skills
- Municipal Leadership
- Professional Attire
- Self-Assessment of Skills and Abilities
- Telephone Etiquette
- Time Management
- Workplace Organization
Students that successfully complete the 12-week program will automatically be qualified for the 2022 Paid Summer Internship program sponsored by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) public services activities and will also earn 40 Community Service hours from the City of North Miami.
- Must be a resident of North Miami
- Prior to the Virtual LIT Program consideration, potential candidates must complete and submit the application online. Fill out the application online (Must register and create an account to apply) Opens in New Window .
- Must be a high school student, 16 or older
- Must be interested in career & leadership development
- Copies of the following documents are required to be submitted with your application:
- Picture I.D. (driver’s license/identification card/school I.D.)
- Proof of Age (birth certificate)
- Proof of Residency (current water bill or FPL bill)
- Once selected, you will be notified to attend, along with a parent or guardian, a mandatory program orientation to discuss participant expectations.
- Virtual LIT Program candidates are required to successfully complete a 10-week training course.
Additional documents may be requested during the program.