North Miami Educational Foundation (NMEFI)
The North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc. (NMEFI) was established in 2012 as a non-profit organization, through which scholarships would be made available to support high school graduates in their pursuit of post-secondary education. As part of its mission, NMEFI aims to make higher education and learning a reality for North Miami students in need of an opportunity to attend college.
Beginning in 2014, the North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc. has administered a scholarship program, the only one of its kind throughout Miami-Dade County, that is available exclusively to North Miami residents. The initial funds for the scholarships were generated from the City’s lease agreement with the developer, Oleta Partners, LLC. The City entered into a 99-year lease agreement with Oleta Partners, LLC to convert a 183-plus acre site of undeveloped land, referred to as Biscayne Landing (now known as SoLé Mia), into a premiere project that will benefit North Miami’s residents and businesses. The developer was contractually obligated to a community benefits package which included the provision of $750,000 to support the vision of the North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc.
NMEFI awards scholarships only to applicants who are North Miami residents. The scholarships are awarded to the best applicants fitting the required criteria. Applicants must demonstrate financial need after completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additionally, the award is renewable for up to four years as long as the student is an undergraduate, considered economically disadvantaged, and best fit the scholarship criteria.
The scholarship (up to $4,000.00) may cover tuition, fees, and educational expenses up to the cost of attendance for college or a university. Applicants must state if they are seeking and/or have been granted awards from other organizations. Based on funding, this scholarship will be awarded to the most qualified applicants, regardless of previously receiving the award, and subject to endorsement of the foundation’s Scholarship Review Committee.
Students may receive one scholarship award per year divided into two allocations for two semesters/terms. The second allocation is contingent upon students earning a C or better grade for classes taken in the first semester/term. Thus, students must always demonstrate a strong commitment to learning and education in a field of his/her choice to pursue one of the following degrees:
- Associate in Art (AA)
- Associate In Science (AS)
- Bachelor in Art (BA)
- Bachelor in Science (BS)
This foundation advertises the scholarship through the following venues:
- North Miami website
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- High Schools in and around North Miami
- Parent-Teacher-Student Associations (PTSAs)
- The North Miami Quality Education Advisory Board
- North Miami Public Library
- Municipal TV Channel 77 (Comcast) and Channel 99 (AT&T U-Verse)
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
To be considered for a scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a North Miami resident and secondary school graduate, or a college student with a standard high school diploma within the past two years
- Earn a GPA of 2.75 or better from high school, or letter grade of "C" or better in college classes taken as a full-time student
- Demonstrate financial need after completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Dedicated to pursue either a BA/BS or AA/AS degree in any field from an accredited institution, preferably in Florida
- Applied for or accepted as a full-time student
- Provide proof of acceptance to a college or university
Online Application Form
Online Application form is available in the Spring of each year at North Miami website.
Completed online application form with all attachments must be received at NMEFI’s office by 5:00 PM, Friday, April 28, 2023.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered and any changes to circumstances regarding your application must be notified by you to the NMEFI, immediately.
- Successful candidates must complete a re-application form each year if they choose to be considered for further financial support to complete their degree.
Important Guidelines and Submission Information
Please read our INFORMATION SHEET carefully (available online)
- Ensure you have completely researched the university/college you wish to apply for
- Have you researched the following and obtained permission where needed?
- Cost/co-funding/financial aid
- Make sure references/recommendations are valid and signed
- Make sure you complete this application fully with all the information requested
- Make sure you give full and current contact details, including an e-mail address
- Incomplete application forms without proper and full contact details will be disqualified
- Application must be received by the North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc. no later than deadline indicated
In keeping with current environmental and economic conservation practices, the NMEFI application process is paperless (online).
Fill out the online application form
Board of Directors
- Steven Moll, President
Associate Professor and Vice Provost , Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Florida International University
- Gepsie Metellus, Vice President
Executive Director, Sant La Haitian Neighborhood Center
- Clark Reynolds, Treasurer
Retired North Miami businessman
- Nyce Daniel, Secretary
Principal, Holy Family Catholic School
- Aneisha Daniel
Deputy City Manager, City of North Miami
- Angelo Brinson
Major, North Miami Police Department
- Dr. Philippe J. Napoleon
Principal, North Miami Middle School
- Christopher J. Shinn
Principal, Alonzo & Tracy Mourning Senior High, Biscayne Bay
- Miriam Stewart
Principal, North Miami Senior High School