Legacy Business Grant Application
North Miami Legacy Business Stabilization Grant Program Guidelines
Total Program Funding: $200,000 to assist business owners
The City of North Miami has a diverse mix of locally owned businesses that have made North Miami their home for many years. Our locally owned commercial establishments such as retailers, artisans, restaurants, bars, professional offices, restaurants, manufacturers, and personal service providers are all the bedrock of the community. Their presence contributes to the vibrancy and unique North Miami brand. Many of these cornerstone establishments have been around for decades. The City of North Miami refers to these as legacy businesses.
These serial entrepreneurs have invested in North Miami’s economy for at least 15 or more years. Unfortunately, these businesses have been severely hit due to the economic downturn caused by the Coronavirus pandemic and are at risk of going under. Without funding assistance, many of these businesses will fail. Preserving our longstanding businesses is critical to maintaining a strong local economy and the very essence of what makes North Miami a special place.
Each legacy business is allowed up to $20,000. The goal is to assist longstanding North Miami businesses to alleviate job loss caused by business closures related to social distancing by providing short-term working capital assistance to small businesses to enable retention of jobs held by low- and moderate-income persons.
- The business owner must demonstrate an “Active” status in the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations.
- The business owner or an authorized representative of the corporation who has legal authority to bind the organization in a contract with the City of North Miami must sign application.
- Submission of an application shall constitute acknowledgement and acceptance of all terms and conditions contained in the guidelines and the application. Acceptance of this application does not constitute a contract and does not obligate the City to award funds.
- Payments will be made directly to the business via check or wire transfer
This grant award will cover inventory supplies and services (e.g. daily cleaning and sanitizing) needed to reduce the adverse economic impact caused by the Corona Virus.
The city desires to ensure stability of legacy businesses, and help these businesses remain in the City.
Requirements & Scope
Participants must be a small business operating within a commercial or industrial district in the City of North Miami for atleast 15 years. Applicants of the Legacy Business Stabilization Grant Program shall comply with those provisions of the City’s local adopted codes regarding possessing a Certificate of Use and Business Tax Receipt. For the purposes of this program, small businesses will be identified through the criteria established by Miami Dade County:
- Cannot have more than ten (10) employees that are low and moderate income
- Must not be part of a national chain or franchise or have city liens or code violations
- Business can be non-profit or for-profit and must have been in business within North Miami for at least 15 years (proof includes incorporations, income tax return, and utility bill). Although not a requirement, business will have access to tech support to assist with implementation.
- First come, first served processing
Please use this checklist to complete the application package:
- Company’s Certificate of Incorporation
- Business Income Tax Return
- Current Lease agreement or deed to the property
- City of North Miami Business Tax Receipt
- Certificate of Use
- Copy of IRS determination letter as a non-profit organization (required for all non-profit organizations)
Fill the application on-line.
**The City reserves the right to request additional information about the business and/or business owner(s) that may be needed to process the grant application. **