CIB Handles Six Types of Complaints:
- False Arrest: An officer allegedly knew, or should have known, that there was insufficient probable cause for an arrest or conducted a bad faith - Fourth Amendment - searches.
- Criminal Conduct: An alleged violation of Federal, State, County, or Municipal law.
- Discrimination: Alleged unequal treatment due to a person’s gender (including gender identity and gender expression), race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer, HIV, and AIDS), age, political beliefs or affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, lifestyle, or similar personal characteristics.
- Slur: An allegation of a derogatory term that a reasonable person would recognize as an inherent insult or degradation of another (based upon the same characteristics as listed for Discrimination).
- Force: An allegation that more force was used than reasonably necessary.
- Harassment: Officer harassment occurs when someone continually or arbitrarily stops a person. This is an abuse of power and involves the harassment of innocent citizens.